Thursday, January 21, 2010

Back in (Concert) Style

Hello out there! I'll jump right in with what's going on...

For about a week and a half now, I've been involved in rehearsals for Lyric Stage of Irving's production of the original 1927 Show Boat in concert style. "What the heck does 'concert style' mean?" you may be asking. Well...I'll tell you.

Basically, what we're doing is having a very large ensemble of singers (who are all incredibly talented, might I add. It's amazing to be in a group of about 60 people or more and efficiently learn a TON of music in about 4 days. And learn it well. No plunking out the alto part 17 times in this group. But, I digress...) onstage at all times, which creates an INCREDIBLE sound. The principle actors are also onstage at all times, and we're all seated. There is staging, yes, but at most times it's only the principles or actors with lines who leave our seated areas (so far....we're still staging). We're not in costumes, there are no big sets (only props and a few pieces here and there....again, so far...), etc. It's very minimalistic, but the message, in my opinion, of the show and the music is even stronger as a result.

I can't even tell you how much I am loving this experience...and I still kind of shake my head and laugh at the surreality of the fact that I'm getting paid to do this. I honestly am in awe of all the people around me and the situation itself. I feel so grateful that I was asked to be a part of this production. I've met a lot of really great people, and I cannot wait to see what the next week and a half brings.

Did I mention it opens a week from today?? Yes, that will have made less than 3 weeks of rehearsal...by FAR the most quick and efficient rehearsal process I have ever been a part of....well, aside from learning the role for Chicago in 3 days, but that was a whole separate issue of course!

I think, right now, I am most looking forward to hearing the 40-piece orchestra that the brilliant Jay Dias is putting together for this production. I may die a little just listening to the overture. After doing a show last year that was performed to "canned" music, I almost feel like God is rewarding me with this. :)

There are only FOUR performances of Show Boat, and I hear they are selling out quickly, so get your tickets soon! http://www.lyricstage.org/2010_showboat.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment